BMW Recalls X3, X4 to Repair Child Restraint Anchor Bars
Details of the BMW Recall
This recall covers the following models:
- Certain 2011-17 X3s built between July 2010 and April 2016
- Certain 2015-17 X4s built between March 2014 and April 2016
According to BMW, “When specifically used with ISOFIX-type rigid-style connector child restraint systems, the lower anchor bars could become damaged over the lifetime of the vehicle.”
The ISOFIX-type rigid-style connector is available in the United States, even though it is mainly used in Europe.
About the Lower Anchors and Tethers for Children (LATCH) System
- The LATCH system is comprised of lower anchors and tether anchors. These are built-in to a vehicle, and connecting hooks that are built-in to the child’s car seat.
- These lower anchors are used instead of the vehicle’s safety belt to secure the child seat to the automobile.
- Tethers are used as an addition in securing the child’s safety seat to the automobile.