About the Fatal Trucking Accident
KBTX reports that Alexander Jones, 20, was killed just outside of Bryan, Texas when his vehicle crossed the center line and collided head-on with an oncoming tractor-trailer.
Jones was a junior Political Science major in Texas A&M’s College of Liberal Arts and was the incoming Combined Band Commander.
The accident remains under investigation. The truck driver was not seriously injured in the crash.
Trucking Accident Statistics
The following information was provided by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA):
- 3,903 people were killed in trucking accidents in 2014, marking a 2-percent decrease from the 3,981 deaths recorded in 2013.
- Of those killed in trucking accidents in 2014:
- 17 percent were occupants of large trucks
- 73 percent were occupants of other vehicles
- 10 percent were nonoccupants, including pedestrians and bicyclists
- Texas led the nation in trucking accident fatalities in 2015 with 553 deaths reported. California followed Texas with 300 deaths.