Details of the Fatal Car Wreck
Two people in a BMW drove southbound on Northwest 27th Avenue at around 4:00 a.m. when the fatal accident occurred. The BMW, traveling at high speeds, crashed into an SUV heading northbound and turning onto Northwest 17th Avenue.
The crash carried the BMW into the gas pumps at a Chevron gas station, according to the Miami Herald. Police officers and people nearby helped extricate two men from the BMW just before the pumps burst into flames.
The occupants of the BMW received treatment at Jackson Memorial Hospital in stable and critical condition, respectively.
The Miami Herald reports that the SUV involved in the crash continued to roll for a block before coming to a stop. The passenger in the SUV, 40-year-old Howard Lara, died at the scene. The driver of the SUV, Eric Brahona, 38, received treatment on the way to the hospital after being ejected from the vehicle but would later die from his injuries.
Two other vehicles crashed due to wreckage from the initial collision, but nobody sustained injuries, according to the Miami Herald.
Motor Vehicle Crash Statistics
The following information is provided by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA):
- 35,092 people died in motor vehicle wrecks on U.S. roadways in 2015.
- This is an increase of 7.2 percent from 2014 – the largest increase in nearly 50 years.
- An estimated 2.44 million people suffered injuries in motor vehicle accidents in 2015.
- 105,000 more people sustained injuries in crashes in 2015 compared to 2014.
- Fatal multiple-vehicle crashes increased by 11.2 percent from 2014.