Construction Worker, 30, Killed after being Run Over by Asphalt Roller
Details of Fatal Work Injury
The tragic accident occurred in the 500 block of Cheek-Sparker Road at around 11:30 a.m. Officials say 30-year-old Brandon Heep, a contractor for the City of Colleyville, was ran over and crushed by a Tarrant County asphalt roller.
The Star-Telegram reports that Heep was responsive and alert during transport to Baylor Scott and White Medical Center, making calls to friends and family. Heep would later succumb to his injuries at 9:37 p.m. that night. He suffered from severe crush injuries to his pelvis and right leg.
The construction accident is currently being investigated by Tarrant County.
On the Job Injury Statistics
The following information is provided by the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA):
- 4,821 workers died on the job in 2014.
- On average, more than 92 a week or more than 13 deaths every day.
- Worker deaths in America are down on average, from about 38 worker deaths a day in 1970 to 13 a day in 2014.
- Fatal work injuries involving contractors accounted for 17 percent of all fatal work injuries in 2014.
- One in five worker deaths in 2014 were in the construction industry.