New Details on the Corpus Christi Motorcycle Crash
The woman was a passenger on a motorcycle that rear-ended another vehicle on Saratoga Boulevard near Staples early Sunday evening.
Preliminary reports suggest that the driver of the other vehicle pulled onto Saratoga Boulevard from the HEB Plus parking lot, cutting off the motorcycle. The man operating the motorcycle attempted to avoid the passenger vehicle, but failed.
Both riders were thrown from the motorcycle and suffered head injuries. The female passenger has since died of her injuries while the male driver of the motorcycle remains in critical condition.
The driver of the other vehicle told police she did not see the oncoming motorcycle.
Texas Auto Accident Statistics
The following information was provided by the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT):
- 3,377 people were killed in auto accidents in Texas in 2013. This marked a 1.05-percent decrease from the 3,413 deaths reported in 2012.
- Motorcyclists accounted for 495 of the fatalities recorded in 2013. 53 percent of the motorcyclists killed were not wearing a helmet at the time of the collision.
- Another 232,041 people were injured in auto accidents in 2013 with 89,270 people suffering a serious injury.
- Using available crash data for 2013, TxDOT estimates:
- One person was killed in an auto accident in Texas every 2 hours and 36 minutes.
- One person was injured every 2 minutes and 16 seconds.
- A reportable crash occurred every 71 seconds.