Corrections Bus Loaded with Inmates Crashes in Pennsylvania
A bus carrying staff and 38 inmates crashed into a concrete barrier in Dauphin County, Pennsylvania.
About the Bus Crash in Dauphin County
According to ABC 27, corrections bus loaded with staff and 38 inmates crashed into a center concrete barrier after a tire blowout, according to the crash report. All occupants have been accounted for and transported to Penn State Hershey Medical Center to be treated for non-life-threatening injuries.
Dr. Sharon Griswold, Emergency Room doctor at the medical center, said the estimated nine ambulances in route to the hospital quickly grew to a potential of 40.
Pennsylvania State Police is investing the cause of the crash and say that the National Transportation Safety Board may join the investigation as well due to the type of vehicle involved.
The accident happened in the eastbound lanes near the Lawn Service Plaza in eastern Dauphin County.
Large Truck and Bus Crash Facts 2017
The information below was provided by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration:
- In 2017, 4,889 large trucks and buses were involved in fatal crashes, a 9-percent increase from 2016.
- On average, from 2007 to 2017, intercity buses accounted for 13 percent, and school buses and transit buses accounted for 40 percent and 35 percent, respectively, of all buses involved in fatal crashes.
- In 2017, there were 73 school buses and 13 intercity buses involved in fatal crashes, the lowest numbers recorded since FARS began in 1975.
- Fatal crashes involving large trucks often occur in rural areas and on Interstate highways. Approximately 57 percent of all fatal crashes involving large trucks occurred in rural areas, 27 percent occurred on Interstate highways, and 13 percent fell into both categories by occurring on rural Interstate highways.
- Thirty-five percent of all fatal crashes, 22 percent of all injury crashes, and 20 percent of all property damage only crashes involving large trucks occurred at night (6:00 pm to 6:00 am).
Contact an Experienced Bus Accident Attorney
If you or a loved one have been injured in a bus accident, contact Thomas J. Henry. Our team of experienced bus accident attorneys are available to evaluate your claim 24/7, nights and weekends. Thomas J. Henry Law has the financial resources and the track record of winning that you need in a law firm. Contact us today for a free case review. Our firm has offices in Corpus Christi, San Antonio, and Austin, serving clients across Texas and nationwide.
In the event that a loved one has been killed in an accident, Thomas J. Henry Law will make sure you claim is handled by one of our Texas wrongful death attorneys. Our wrongful death lawyers have the expertise necessary to prove your claim to compensation and help you family prepare for the expenses and damages caused by the sudden loss of a loved one.