Details of the Crash
KIII-TV reports the crash happened the evening of January 28. Police were called to a chaotic scene at Triple Crown Dr. A car had crashed into a mailbox and a tree, eventually catching fire. Officers quickly extinguished the fire, and no injuries were reported. Police say the teen had been distracted while searching for directions on his phone.
Dangers of Distracted Driving
Each day in the United States, approximately 9 people are killed and more than 1,000 injured in crashes that involve a distracted driver, according to the Centers of Disease Control and Prevention.
Because distractions are so common and dangerous, staying vigilant while driving is important. Removing your eyes from the road to check a message, fiddle with the dashboard, or stabilize a fallen object can risk your safety along with the safety of your passengers and fellow drivers.
Many states have enacted laws against texting while driving. Although these laws can discourage harmful behavior behind the wheel, the choice to obey those rules is up to you. Make sure to keep yourself accountable by abiding by the following tips.
Tips to Avoid Distractions While Driving
- Secure items to keep them from falling and rolling around.
- Finish grooming at home, not while on the road.
- Avoid eating messy foods while driving.
- Keep cell phones and other electronic distractions off or on silence and out of reach.
- If you need to attend to an activity in your car (such as resetting the GPS or quieting a crying child), pull over before doing so.
- Focus fully on driving—scan the road, use your mirrors, and watch out for pedestrians and cyclists.
Contact an Experienced Auto Accident Attorney
A car can be a deadly weapon. When people use it negligently, they can cause chronic damage to people and families. If you or a loved one has been injured in a car crash by a distracted driver, contact Thomas J. Henry. You may be entitled to compensation for damages caused by another’s negligence.
Our firm has offices in Corpus Christi, San Antonio, and Austin, serving clients across Texas and nationwide. Call us today for a free case review — attorneys are available 24/7, nights and weekends. If you cannot make it to our office, we can visit you at your home, in the hospital, or at work.