A mother was killed and her 10-year-old son was critically injured in Garland, Texas after their vehicle was struck by a driver attempting to fleeing police.
Details of the Fatal Garland Crash
According to FOX News, the fatal accident occurred Monday around 3:30 pm.
Police conducted a traffic stop on a black Honda Accord driven by 37-year-old Bobby Lee Murphy of Oklahoma, and the officer found evidence of narcotics in the vehicle. Before the officer could investigate further, Murphy fled the scene along with his two passengers.
Police initiated a pursuit which quickly escalated into a high-speed chase.
As Murphy approached the intersection of Garland Avenue and Miller Road, an officer activated his overhead lights and siren in an attempt to alert drivers. Unfortunately, Murphy slammed into a silver Toyota carrying Karla Rico, 28, and her 10-year-old son.
Rico died at the scene. Her son was rushed to the hospital with critical injuries. Rico’s dog was also killed in the collision.
The driver of a third vehicle suffered minor injuries.
Murphy and his two passengers were hospitalized following the crash. Murphy is charged with murder and evading arrest causing serious bodily injury.
Texas Car Accident Statistics 2018
Information provided by the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT):
- There were 12,161 serious injury crashes in Texas in 2018 with 14,908 people sustaining a serious injury.
- There were 701 people killed in crashes occurring in intersections or related to an intersection.
- There were 548 people killed in head-on crashes in 2018.
- There were no deathless days on Texas roadways in 2018.
- There were 940 people killed in motor vehicle traffic crashes where a driver was under the influence of alcohol. This is 26% of the total number of people killed in motor vehicle traffic crashes.
Injured in a Car Accident? Call Thomas J. Henry Law
If you or a loved one was injured in a car accident, call Thomas J. Henry Law for immediate assistance. Our Texas car accident attorneys have the experience and resources to handle your claim. We have represented clients for more than 25 years, and have found success in courtrooms across Texas
Call now for a FREE case consultation. We are available 24/7, nights and weekends.