Corpus Christi police have arrested a woman for intoxication manslaughter after a fatal wrong-way crash that killed a motorcyclist.
Details of the Fatal Corpus Christi Crash
According to KIII-TV, the fatal collision occurred around 10:30 pm on October 9.
Police say 30-year-old Sarah Hoss was driving the wrong way on the SPID feeder road in Flour Bluff when she went through the Waldron intersection and struck a motorcyclist that was stopped at a red light.
The motorcyclist, 54-year-old Eutimio “Tim” Barrera, was rushed to the hospital where he died from his injuries.
Police noted there were no skid marks leading up to the collisions and that Hoss’s vehicle continued traveling about 860 feet before finally coming to a stop.
Hoss was charged with intoxicated manslaughter with a vehicle and was also charged with unlawful carrying of a weapon.
Barrera was living in Corpus Christi, but he was also the lead singer for a Houston-area band called After Party Roxx.
Texas Drunk Driving Accident Statistics
The following information was provided by the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT):
- 3,896 people were killed in traffic crashes in Texas in 2020 – a 7.54% increase from 3,623 deaths in 2019.
- 958 of those traffic fatalities involved a driver that was under the influence of alcohol.
- 865 people were killed in crashes that occurred at intersections.
- Another 205,498 people were injured in Texas traffic crashes in 2020 with 14,656 people suffering serious injury.
- Based on reportable crash data for 2020:
- One person was killed in a car crash in Texas every 2 hours and 15 minutes.
- A person was injured in a car crash every 2 minutes and 34 seconds.
- A reportable crash occurred every 1 minute and 7 seconds.
Contact an Experienced Drunk Driving Accident Attorney
If you or a loved one were injured in a car crash with a drunk driver, it is typically in your best interest to speak to a Corpus Christi car accident attorney. A qualified attorney can help you recover financial compensation to help with resulting medical bills, living expenses, and other damages.
Thomas J. Henry Law has experienced attorneys available 24/7, nights and weekends to assist you. If you are unable to come to our offices, we can send an attorney directly to you.