Garbage Truck Hits and Kills Bicyclist
Details of the Fatal Bicycle Accident
College Station police have identified the victim in an accident involving a city garbage truck as Alannah Rose Rich, who is a Texas A&M student and resident of San Marcos, Texas.
The accident occurred on the corner of Ayrshire and Angus at about 11:00 am Thursday. The police stated that Ritch was riding her bicycle when a garbage truck hit and ran her over. She died from her injuries at the scene.
The police department is doing a complete investigation and will have more details at a future date. The roadway was completely closed for four hours during the investigation, but it was reopened. The case is still under investigation.
Bicyclist Crash Statistics
- According to the Pedestrian and Bicycle Information Center, in 2014 there were 726 bicyclists killed in crashes with motor vehicles. This number is just under two people every day of the year in the U.S.
- Bicyclists also represent over 2 percent of the total number of people killed and injured in traffic crashes in 2014.
- The estimated number of bicyclist injuries in 2014 was 50,000, which is an increase from 48,000 in 2013.
- California, Florida, and Texas lead the nation in bicyclist fatalities.
- Nearly a third of all bicycle injuries are caused when bicyclists are struck by vehicles.