He and some family members were relaxing at the Hilton Houston Westchase Hotel’s swimming pull when, shortly after dusk, the pools lights came on and malfunctioned.
Following the pool lights coming on, Hernandez’s little brother began to yell in pain and convulse. Their mother attempted to save the child, but was hampered by the electrical current.
Hernandez then dove into the water where he was able to life the 11-year-old to safety before being overcome by the electrical current.
Despite CPR, Hernandez died at the scene of the accident.
Family Sues Hilton for Swimming Pool Death
Hernandez’s family is now suing Hilton Hotels & Resorts for gross negligence leading to the man’s death.
According to the family’s attorneys, the hotel ignored basic safety regulations and failed to install ground fault circuit interrupters (GFCIs) which would have cut power to the lights upon detecting the malfunction.
The lawsuit also alleges that the hotel’s pool had not met electrical codes for years and that its contractor had installed new electrical equipment without requesting the proper permits.
Contact an Experienced Premises Liability Attorney
Because of careless property owners, many people will suffer catastrophic injuries such as brain injuries or spinal cord injuries. The nature of many injuries which occur on dangerous property can be more than painful- they can be permanent.
Do not let your injuries overwhelm your life. If you have been seriously injured as a result of a condition or the use of real property, contact Thomas J. Henry. As your premises liability lawyer, we will secure proper medical care and fight to make sure you receive proper compensation. We are available 24/7, nights and weekends and we represent clients/victims all over the country.