Officials are blaming icy roads for more than 100 crashes in the Coastal Bend during last week’s winter blast.
Thousands of Crashes, Hundreds of Injuries Reported Statewide
KIII-TV reports that police responded to more than 100 crashes in and around Corpus Christi last week. Sergeant Nathan Brandley with the Department of Public Safety told reporters that they had more than 60 troopers on duty throughout last week’s winter blast, all of whom responded to at least one accident.
Sergeant Brandley noted that all bridges and overpasses were iced over and that the count would have been much higher had officials not closed roadways and had residents not heeded warnings to stay off the roads if possible.
Thousands of accidents were recorded at the state-level with at least 500 injuries and 22 deaths occurring.
At least one crash in the Coastal Bend, a crash in Kenedy County, ended up being fatal.
Texas Motor Vehicle Traffic Statistics 2018
Information provided by the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT):
- There were 12,161 serious injury crashes in Texas in 2018 with 14,908 people sustaining a serious injury.
- There were 701 people killed in crashes occurring in intersections or related to an intersection.
- There were 548 people killed in head-on crashes in 2018.
- There were no deathless days on Texas roadways in 2018.
- There were 940 people killed in motor vehicle traffic crashes where a driver was under the influence of alcohol. This is 26% of the total number of people killed in motor vehicle traffic crashes.
Injured in a Collision? Contact an Experienced Car Accident Lawyer in Corpus Christi
Were you injured in a motor vehicle collision in the state of Texas? Our auto accident lawyers in Corpus Christi are available 24/7 to help you and provide you with a free consultation. We will start work on your case right away, offering sound legal advice, speaking to the insurance companies on your behalf, gathering evidence for your case, and even helping with property damage and medical bills on qualified cases. We handle all negotiations, depositions, mediations, litigation, settlements, court appearances, and everything in between to ensure you get a fair settlement or outcome for your family. Contact Thomas J. Henry Law today for more information about the services we provide to clients in Corpus Christi, Texas.
Our Corpus Christi Personal Injury Law Offices
- Phone number: 361-254-7873 (attorneys available 24/7 to assist you)
- Address: 521 Starr Street, Corpus Christi, Texas 78401 (walk-in Monday through Friday)