Keller Woman Dies Two Weeks After Trucking Accident
About the Tow Truck Accident
According to WFAA, the crash occurred around 9:30 pm on May 5 when a tow truck plowed into several vehicles stopped at a red light on U.S. 377, near Keller Parkway. A total of five vehicle were involved in the crash.
Wyona “Cookie” Clardy, 62, was transported to Baylor Scott ad White Medical Center in Grapevine. Sadly, Clardy succumbed to her injuries at 3:20 am Saturday.
The driver of the tow truck, Gary Randall Dilworth, was previously charged with intoxication assault with a motor vehicle causing serious bodily injury; however, that charge may be upgraded in response to Clardy’s death.
Dilworth also faces a charges of possession of a controlled substance and possession of drug paraphernalia.
Texas Trucking Accident Statistics
- The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) recorded 438,000 trucking accidents in the U.S. in 2014.
- These accidents result in 3,903 deaths and 111,000 injuries.
- Of those killed in trucking accidents:
- 17 percent were occupants of large trucks
- 73 percent were occupants of other vehicles
- 10 percent were listed as nonoccupants, including bicyclists and pedestrians
- Texas led the nation in trucking accident fatalities with 553 trucking-related deaths reported. California followed Texas with 300 recorded deaths.