LG Electronics has issued a recall for three models of portable air conditioners. According to the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC), the portable air conditioners can overheat, potentially causing a fire. There are about 466,000 units in addition to the 36,000 that were sold in Canada.
Description of the Portable Air Conditioners
- The recall includes three models of 7,000 and 8,000 BTU LG portable air conditioners
- Model numbers: LP0711WNR, LP0813WNR, and LP0814WNR
- The model number is located on the product’s left side panel
- The air conditioners are tan and white with the LG logo on the front
- The air conditioners are 30 inches tall, 12 inches wide, 14 inches deep, and weigh 50 pounds
Portable Air Conditioners Recall Information
According to the U.S Consumer Product Safety Commission:
- The product is sold at Home Depot and other stores nationwide from February 2011 through August 2016
- The cost is between $250 and $280
- Manufactured in China
- Imported by LG Electronics USA, Inc., of Englewood Cliffs, N. J.
There have been four reports of fires that have caused $380,000 in property damage. No injuries have been reported.
Consumers should immediately stop using the recalled portable air conditioners and contact LG to schedule a free repair at an authorized service center.