Man Killed in Construction Accident Involving Dump Truck
Details of the Construction Accident
The construction worker for Eagle Rock Timber Inc. was working on an expansion project for Bish’s RV at around 10:25 a.m. when the accident occurred. The worker, 59-year-old Werner Schmitt, was assisting with the unloading of the belly dump trailer when he was run over.
The East Idaho News reports that emergency crews freed Schmitt from underneath the dump truck and transported him to Eastern Idaho Regional Medical Center. Schmitt later died from his injuries.
Officials say the incident was an accident and that the investigation is nearly complete, according to the East Idaho News.
On the Job Accident Statistics
The following information is provided by the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA):
- 4,821 workers died on the job in 2014.
- One in five worker deaths in 2014 were in the construction industry.
- Fatal falls accounted for 359 construction worker fatalities in 2014. The “Fatal Four” leading causes of private sector worker deaths are:
- Falls – 359 out of 899 total deaths in construction in 2014 (39.9%)
- Electrocutions – 74 (8.2%)
- Struck by Object – 73 (8.1%)
- Caught-in/between – 39 (4.3%)