Man Killed in Fatal Fort Worth Crash
A well respected board-certified orthopedic surgeon was killed on Saturday morning in a car accident on I-20.
Details of the Fatal Car Accident
Dr. John Adam Malonis, 50, of Fort Worth, TX died when his vehicle collided with another vehicle on Interstate 20.
According to reports, Malonis was driving in the left lane of an overpass when his 2008 Porsche SUV collided with the vehicle driving next to him. Malonis’s vehicle then hit the guardrail and landed on the freeway below.
Another passenger in the vehicle was taken to the hospital in serious condition. The two occupants in the other vehicle, a 2012 Cadillac were taken to the hospital with non-life threatening injuries.
Malonis was an orthopedic surgeon at Lone Star Orthopedic and Spine Specialist, PLLC in Burleson, Texas. The accident is still under investigation according to the Mesquite Police Department.
Statistics on Traffic Accidents
The following information is provided by the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT):
- In 2013, the fatality rate on Texas roadways was 1.40 deaths per hundred million vehicle miles traveled.
- There were 65, 539 serious injury crashes in Texas in 2013.
- In 2013 alone:
- 1 person was killed in a car accident every 2 hours and 36 minutes.
- 1 person was injured every 2 minutes and 16 seconds.
- 1 reportable crash occurred every 71 seconds.