Crash Closed Toll Road for Hours
Police say a woman in her 30s and a young child were traveling southbound on Texas 130 when the accident occurred. For reasons currently unknown, the woman lost control of her SUV and veered off the highway, striking a guard rail.
In an attempt to stabilize her SUV, the woman overcorrected and was struck by an 18-wheeler traveling behind her SUV.
According to the Austin American-Statesman, the woman was airlifted in critical condition to St. David’s South Austin Medical Center. Her child was taken to Dell Children’s Medical Center with potentially serious injuries.
The highway was closed down during the crash investigation, which is ongoing. According to the Austin American-Statesman, the initial report was of a pin-in collision.
Texas Motor Vehicle Crash Statistics
The following information on Texas motor vehicle traffic crash statistics is provided by the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT).
- Texas experienced a 3.7 percent increase in motor vehicle traffic fatalities between 2013 and 2014.
- 3,534 people were killed in 2014 on Texas roadways.
- Based on reportable crashes in 2014, 1 person was killed every 2 hours and 29 minutes.
- In 2014, there were no deathless days on Texas roadways.
- Single vehicle, run-off the road crashes resulted in 1,384 deaths in 2014 – 39.16 percent of all motor vehicle traffic deaths in 2014.