Mother, Two Children Killed in Suspected Drunk Driving Crash, Third Child on Life Support
A mother and two of her children are dead and a third child remains on life-support following a seven-vehicle crash in Klein, Texas. Authorities suspect a drunk driver is to blame.
Suspected Drunk Driver “Snuff(ed) a Family Out of Existence”
According to reports, the tragic crash occurred Sunday night near the intersection of FM 2920 and Gosling Road. Authorities to find several vehicles on fire with multiple other people suffering injuries.
The mother, whose identity has not yet been made available, died from her injuries as did two of her children. Her third child, a 2-year-old was rushed to the hospital with life-threatening injuries and placed on life-support.
Preliminary reports suggest the suspected drunk driver was traveling at a high rate of speed when he hit the mother’s vehicle. The driver, who was not identified, suffered only bumps and bruises.
Harris County Constable Mark Herman vowed to hold the responsible driver accountable, commenting that the driver’s reckless had “snuff(ed) a family out of existence.” Herman cited the driver’s blood alcohol content, which was at 1.5%, as the “main contributing factor.” Drivers in Texas are considered legally intoxicated when their BAC reaches 0.08%.
Herman added that the driver is expected to be charged with multiple counts of intoxication manslaughter with charges possibly being upgrading depending on the ongoing condition of the 2-year-old on life-support.
Texas Drunk Driving Accident Statistics
The following information was provided by the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT):
- 3,773 people were killed in Texas traffic accidents in 2016, marking a 5.45% increase from the 3,578 deaths reported in 2015.
- 638 of the deaths reported in 2016 were attributed to a head-on collision.
- Alcohol was determined to be a factor in 987 traffic deaths, accounting for roughly 26% of all Texas traffic fatalities.
- An additional 264,076 people were injured in auto accidents in Texas in 2016.
- Based on reportable data for 2016, TxDOT estimates:
- One person was killed in a traffic accident every 2 hours and 20 minutes.
- One person was injured every 1 minute and 59 seconds.
- A reportable crash occurred every 57 seconds.
Contact an Experienced Texas Car Accident Attorney
If you or a loved one have been injured in a car crash, contact Thomas J. Henry Law. Our experienced Texas car accident attorneys have experience handling a multitude of injury accidents, no matter how severe the crash or injury. You may be entitled to compensation for your damages if another driver acted negligently. Our firm has the experienced lawyers and financial resources that you need to achieve the real results you deserve.
Our firm has offices in Corpus Christi, San Antonio, and Austin serving clients across Texas and nationwide. Call us today for a free case review — attorneys are available 24/7, nights and weekends. If you cannot make it to our office, we can visit you at your home, in the hospital, or at work.
Thomas J. Henry Law Offices with a Car Accident Lawyer in TX:
- Speak to an Austin car accident lawyer:
- Phone Number: (512) 520-0221 (attorneys available 24/7, nights and weekends)
- Address: 5707 Southwest Pkwy, Suite 125 Building 2, Austin, Texas 78735 (walk-in Monday through Friday)
- Speak to a Corpus Christi car accident lawyer:
- Phone number: 361-254-7873 (attorneys available 24/7 to assist you)
- Address: 521 Starr Street, Corpus Christi, Texas 78401 (walk-in Monday through Friday)
- Speak to a San Antonio car accident lawyer:
- Phone number: 210-941-2191 (attorneys available 24/7 to assist you)
- Address: 5710 W Hausman Rd, Suite 108, San Antonio, Texas 78249 (walk-in Monday through Friday)