Driver Not Facing Charges
The accident occurred on Babcock Road near Roanoke Run at around 5:00 p.m. A pickup truck heading in the same direction as the motorcyclist stopped to allow a northbound Honda Accord to take a left turn onto Roanoke.
As the Honda made its turn, the motorcyclist failed to see the car or stop as it turned. According to the San Antonio Express-News, the motorcycle collided with the car, sending both vehicles off the road.
The motorcyclist died at University Hospital where he was sent for treatment. The driver of the Honda was also transported to the hospital for observation. According to police, the accident is being treated as an accident and no charges have been filed against the driver of the Honda.
According to KSAT, the motorcyclist is identified as 27-year-old Andrew Estrada.
Motorcycle Accident Statistics
The following information is provided by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS).
- 4,295 motorcyclists died in crashes in 2014.
- Ninety-two percent of motorcyclists killed in 2014 were males.
- Helmets are about 37 percent effective in preventing motorcycle deaths and about 67 percent effective in preventing brain injuries.
- Only 19 states and the District of Columbia mandate helmet use by all riders.
- Per mile traveled in 2014, the number of deaths on motorcycles was over 27 times the number in cars.