Motorcycle Race in San Antonio Results in Death and Injury
Street Racing Suspected in Fatal San Antonio Crash
According to KSAT, the accidental incident occurred on Loop 410 near Palo Alto Road and South Zarzamora Street at around midnight on Monday, October 5. Three motorcyclists were involved in the crash which left one person dead and another hospitalized with severe injuries.
The San Antonio Police Department believes the motorcyclists were racing when the crash occurred. Early reports have at least three motorcyclists speeding and driving recklessly in the eastbound lanes of Loop 410.
It is believed that one of the motorcyclists lost control, resulting in the crash.
At least one motorcyclist was not present at the time of the police investigation, leaving behind their motorcycle.
Motorcycle Accident Statistics
The following information regarding motorcycle accidents is provided by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA):
- 5,172 motorcyclists were killed in motorcycle traffic crashes in 2018.
- An additional 89,000 motorcyclists are estimated to have sustained injures in motorcycle accidents in 2019.
- Although motorcycles accounted for a mere three percent of all registered vehicles in the United States in 2017, motorcyclist fatalities accounted for 14 percent of all traffic crash deaths and 17 percent of all occupant fatalities.
- In 2017, one-third of all motorcycle riders involved in fatal crashes were speeding.
- Florida lead the nation in motorcyclist fatalities (550) followed by California (515) and Texas (460).
Injuries Often Associated with Motorcycle Accidents
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), per vehicle mile traveled in 2017, motorcyclist fatalities occurred nearly 27 times more frequently than passenger car occupant fatalities in traffic crashes. Motorcyclists were also five times more likely to be injured in a crash. Several factors can cause motorcycle accidents, from speeding and objects in the roadway to mechanical issues and alcohol use.
Common injuries associated with motorcycle accidents include:
- Head injuries (traumatic brain injuries)
- Neck injuries
- Spinal cord and back injuries
- Broken and fractured bones
- Road rash (skin abrasion due to direct contact with roadway)
- Eye injuries
Contact an Experienced San Antonio Motorcycle Accident Attorney
Did you get into an accident while you were riding on your motorcycle? If you were seriously injured and you know that you did not have any fault in causing the accident, you should try to seek compensation. Thomas J. Henry Law would like to help you seek financial compensation for your injuries and the trauma you have experienced