Cables Attaching Lifeboat to Liner Broke
The crew members were taking part in a rescue training exercise when the lifeboat reportedly detached from the fifth deck of the cruise liner and fell 30 feet into the water.
The deceased crew member is said to be a 42-year-old from the Philippines. Three of the injured crewmen were also Filipino, according to the Guardian, and the fourth was Indian. Two of the injured men were in critical condition and the other two are being treated for multiple serious injuries at Marseille Nord hospital.
An inquiry was opened into the cause of the accident.
Information Regarding Cruise Ship Injuries
Here are the steps to take after sustaining an injury on a cruise ship:
- Get your injuries treated
- Report the incident to crew personnel
- Request a copy of any incident report
- Take down witness name and contact information
- Take photographs of your injuries
- Decide if you want to file a claim against the cruise line.
- Your cruise ticket may contain fine print specifying time limitations on filing a claim.
- The ticket may also reference a particular jurisdiction for any lawsuits against the cruise line.
- If you decide to pursue legal action against the cruise line, consider hiring a maritime attorney.