Children Tossed from Bed of Pickup Truck
Police say German Godinez-Godinez, 19, ran a red light at the intersection of 40th Street and Broadway Road, striking a pickup truck.
ABC15 reports that there were two adult passengers inside the truck with a two-year-old child. Three additional children were in the bed of the truck when they were hit by Godinez-Godinez.
Four of the children and one adult were transported to the hospital in serious condition. Tyrik Jenkins, 6, died of his injuries at the hospital, reports ABC15. Jenkins was one of the children in the bed of the truck when it was hit.
Godinez-Godinez is charged with DUI and manslaughter, admitting to police that he was high and drunk when he caused the crash.
Information On Alcohol-Impaired Driving
The following information is provided by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA):
- In 2014, there were 9,967 people killed in alcohol-impaired-driving.
- An average of 1 alcohol-impaired-driving fatality occurs every 53 minutes.
- Alcohol-impaired-driving crashes accounted for 31 percent of all motor vehicle traffic fatalities in the United States in 2014.
- Of the 9,967 people killed in alcohol-impaired-driving crashes, 6,391 were drivers with BACs of .08 g/dL or higher.
- Of the traffic fatalities among children 14 and younger in 2014, 19 percent occurred in alcohol-impaired-driving crashes.