The Mississippi highway patrol is investigating a fatal trucking accident that occurred near Exit 68 of I-10 at the Mississippi/Alabama border.
About the Fatal Trucking Accident
WPMI reports that the crash involved two 18-wheelers and a pick-up truck carrying two passengers.
Moss Point police say a tractor-trailer collided with an F-250, forcing the pickup into another semi then off an overpass.
The driver of the pickup died before first responders arrived. He was not wearing a seatbelt at the time of the collision.
Three other people were injured in the crash; fortunately, none of the injuries were considered life-threatening.
The accident remains under investigation.
Trucking Accident Statistics
The following information was provided by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA):
- 438,000 trucking accidents occurred in 2014, resulting in 3,903 deaths and 111,000 injuries.
- Of those killed:
- 17 percent were occupants of large trucks
- 73 percent were occupants of other vehicles
- 10 percent were nonoccupants, including pedestrians and bicyclists
- Texas led the nation in fatal trucking accidents with 553 deaths recorded. California followed Texas with 300 trucking fatalities reported.