About the Fort Worth Crash
Investigators say the crash happened along North University Drive in Northeast Forth Worth at about 9 p.m. on Sunday.
Two cars were street racing when one lost control and crashed, instantly killing a passenger. The driver was taken into custody and evaluated at a hospital as a precaution.
Detectives at the scene said the other car involved in the race was not found, and the crash remains under investigation.
Street Racing National Average
On average, nine out of every 100,000 drivers have received citations for street racing.
Street racing is extremely dangerous and illegal. Breaking this law can get your license revoked for 10 or more years, your car impounded, and your employment stifled. It also puts you at risk of a dangerous accident.
Street Racing Statistics
Information below compiled by StopStreetRacing.org:
- In 2001, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) reported that police listed street racing as a factor in 135 fatal crashes. The total was up from 72 street-racing-related fatalities reported in 2000.
- According to the California Office of Traffic Safety, more than 800 citations for illegal street racing were issued in 2001.
- In San Diego, where the street racing problem has been termed “epidemic,” 16 deaths and 31 injuries were directly related to illegal street racing in 2001. The city’s attorney’s office prosecuted 147 illegal street racing cases in 1999, 161 in 2000, and 290 in 2001.
- In Florida, 7,216 citations were issued for racing on the highway in 2001.
- In 1999, the Florida Department of Highway and Safety for Motor Vehicles reported 28 accidents related to illegal street racing, with 2 fatalities and 27 injuries. In 2000, the agency reported 39 racing accidents, with 1 fatality and 55 injuries. In 2002, there were 48 racing accidents, 1 fatality, and 60 injuries.
- According to the NHTSA, motor vehicle accidents are the leading cause of death for people between the ages of 16 and 20.
- The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety says 5,749 teens died in the United States from motor vehicle crash injuries in 1999.
- Nationwide statistics show that 49 people are injured for every 1,000 who participate in illegal street racing.
Contact an Experienced Texas Car Accident Lawyer
If you or a loved one have been injured in a car crash, contact Thomas J. Henry. Our experienced auto accident attorneys have experience handling a multitude of injury accidents, no matter how severe the crash or injury. You may be entitled to compensation for your damages if another driver acted negligently. Our firm has the experienced lawyers and financial resources that you need to achieve the real results you deserve.
Our firm has offices in Corpus Christi, San Antonio, and Austin, serving clients across Texas and nationwide. Call us today for a free case review — attorneys are available 24/7, nights and weekends. If you cannot make it to our office, we can visit you at your home, in the hospital, or at work.