One Teen Killed, Another Injured in Fatal Pedestrian-Car Crash
Investigation into the wreck Still Pending
Herman Alejandro Hernandez, 16, and his girlfriend were hit by a car near the McAllen Convention Center. The vehicle drove off the road and into the grassy area, striking the two teenagers.
KRGV reports that Hernandez did not survive the car crash. His girlfriend was transported to a local hospital where she is currently in serious condition.
Details regarding the cause of the crash are unknown. The occupants in the car, a 20-year-old and 18-year-old, are under investigation, reports KRGV. According to CBS 4 News, police believe the occupants of the car may have been under the influence of alcohol. Charges against the pair are pending.
Pedestrian Traffic Crash Statistics
The following information is provided by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA).
- In 2014, there were 4,884 pedestrians killed and an estimated 65,000 injured in traffic crashes in the United States.
- On average, a pedestrian was killed every 2 hours and injured every 8 minutes in traffic crashes.
- In 2014, 15 percent of all traffic fatalities were pedestrians.
- More than two-thirds (70%) of the pedestrians killed in traffic crashes in 2014 were males.
- 24 percent of pedestrian fatalities in 2014 occurred between 9:00 p.m. and 11:59 p.m.