Pediatricians Call for Fisher-Price Rock ‘n Play Recall Citing 32 Infant Deaths
The American Academy of Pediatricians is calling for the immediate recall of Fisher-Price’s Rock ‘n Play Sleeper citing at least 32 infant deaths.
Pediatricians Warn that Fisher-Price Rock ‘n Play Poses Deadly Threat to Infants
According to CBS News, the American Academy of Pediatrics cited a new report by Consumer Reports that concluded 32 infant deaths were linked to the device. Fisher-Price confirmed last week that at least 10 infants have died while using the sleeper.
In a statement, the president of the American Academy of Pediatrics Kyle Yasuda said “This product is deadly and should be recalled immediately.”
The hazard occurs when infants roll over while in the device unrestrained. In the deaths confirmed by Fisher-Price, the infants were older than 3 months. The company warned that parents and caregivers stop using the sleeper when infants reach 3 months or begin rolling over, stopping short of issuing a full recall.
However, in its own report, Consumer reports cited deaths linked to the sleep in babies younger than 3 months.
The American Academy of Pediatrics followed Fisher-Price’s warning with a statement of their own, provided by Dr. Rachel Moon, chair of the AAP Task Force on SIDS. The statement read “”The Rock ‘n Play inclined sleeper should be removed from the market immediately. It does not meet the AAP’s recommendations for a safe sleep environment for any baby. Infants should always sleep on their back, on a separate, flat and firm sleep surface without any bumpers or bedding.”
Crib and Sleeper Injury Statistics
According to WebMD:
- Cribs account for 80% of all crib, playpen, and bassinet injuries. Two-thirds of those injuries occurred when children fell from or jumped out of the crib.
- Another 15% of crib-related injuries were the result of children falling inside the crib or being cut on something inside the crib.
- Caught-in and entrapment resulted in 6% of crib-related injuries.
- Soft-tissue injuries represent about 33% of all reported crib-related injuries, concussions about 20%, fractures 12%, and lacerations make up 14%.
- Two-thirds of crib-related deaths involve babies younger than 6 months.
Contact an Experienced Child Injury Attorney
At Thomas J. Henry Injury Attorneys, we have the experience and resources to handle your child’s case. If your child has been the victim of a serious injury caused by a defective crib, playpen, or bassinet, contact our offices. We are available 24/7, nights and weekends. If you are unable to make it to one of our offices, we will send one of our attorneys to you. Let us help you and your child achieve justice and compensation for injuries caused by a crib manufacturer’s negligence. Call us today for a free legal consultation.