Being in a car accident can leave you traumatized. The injuries you suffered as well as the sheer shock of being in an accident can make it hard for you to think straight. However, as difficult as it might be for you, it is imperative to document the accident scene and collect as much evidence as you can. Not doing so can make it difficult for your personal injury lawyer in San Antonio to recover the compensatory damages you deserve.
Given below are the steps you need to take to properly document a car accident scene.
Get Medical Help
If you have been in a car accident, your first priority should be the safety and wellbeing of yourself as well as those who are with you. So, call 911, report the accident, and request medical help.
The best way to document a car accident scene – as any personal injury lawyer in San Antonio can tell you – is to take as many pictures as you can.
Given below is a list of things you should take pictures of.
- Damage to your car, interior as well as exterior – including minor scratches and dents
- Damage to the other person’s car and other vehicles that were involved in the accident
- Make and model of the other person’s car, their license plate, and their insurance documents
- The other driver and passengers
- Potholes, debris, overgrown trees, and other hazards that might have contributed to the accident
- Shattered glass, skid marks, fuel leaks, deployed airbags, and other signs of the collision
- Your injuries
- Your passengers’ injuries
You can make it easier for your personal injury lawyer in San Antonio to build a case against the at-fault party by taking pictures that tell a story – as to what went down in the accident scene. If you are wondering how to take such pictures, here are some tips.
- Take pictures of the aforementioned objects from different angles. It will provide a clear picture of the extent of damage you suffered.
- Take pictures of the aforementioned objects from different distances. For example, stand 10 feet away from your car and take a couple of pictures. Then, stand 5 feet away and take a few pictures. And then, stand right next to your car and take few more pictures.
Collect the names, addresses, and contact information of potential witnesses. Collect insurance information from all the drivers involved in the accident.
Contact a Personal Injury Lawyer in San Antonio
Once you have documented the accident scene and received the medical help you need, contact a personal injury lawyer to discuss the possibility of filing a claim against the at-fault driver, and other parties, if any.
Thomas J. Henry Law Firm – A History of Success in Personal Injury Cases
Recovering compensation in a San Antonio personal injury case can be hard, especially if the other side is unreasonable and totally dismissive of your claims. As the leading personal injury firm in Texas, Thomas J. Henry Law, PLLC has the resources needed to investigate your case, gather the needed evidence to prove the other party’s culpability, and recover damages through negotiation or litigation.
Thomas J. Henry has been named one of the Best San Antonio Lawyers by San Antonio Scene for three consecutive years (2018, 2019, and 2020) and was recognized as the Best Attorney of San Antonio by the San Antonio Current in 2019 and 2020. He is also a lifetime member of Rue Ratings’ “Best Attorneys of America” and his firm, Thomas J. Henry Law, was named one of the Top Law Firms of 2020 by Newsweek.com.
Call us today at (866) 517-5659 or contact us using this form to schedule a free consultation with one of our San Antonio personal injury attorneys.