Pittsburgh Bus Driver Put on Probation After Fatal Accident
A Pittsburgh bus driver has been placed on probation following a fatal accident that resulted in the death of a university student.
About the Pittsburgh Bus Accident Case
According to Indiana Gazette, 34-year-old Shavonne James, has been put on a three-year probation for involuntary manslaughter and reckless endangerment of life following a bus accident that occurred last year.
James pleaded guilty at the Allegheny County Court for the charges tied to the January 2020 accident. 20-year-old Barbara Como was killed by James as she was driving her Port Authority bus in Pittsburgh’s Oakland neighborhood. Another person’s life was also put in danger during the tragic accident.
Como was majoring in anthropology and psychology at University of Pittsburgh before having her life taken away.
Large Truck and Bus Crash Facts 2017
The information below was provided by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration:
- In 2017, 4,889 large trucks and buses were involved in fatal crashes, a 9-percent increase from 2016.
- On average, from 2007 to 2017, intercity buses accounted for 13 percent, and school buses and transit buses accounted for 40 percent and 35 percent, respectively, of all buses involved in fatal crashes.
- In 2017, there were 73 school buses and 13 intercity buses involved in fatal crashes, the lowest numbers recorded since FARS began in 1975.
- Fatal crashes involving large trucks often occur in rural areas and on Interstate highways. Approximately 57 percent of all fatal crashes involving large trucks occurred in rural areas, 27 percent occurred on Interstate highways, and 13 percent fell into both categories by occurring on rural Interstate highways.
- Thirty-five percent of all fatal crashes, 22 percent of all injury crashes, and 20 percent of all property damage only crashes involving large trucks occurred at night (6:00 pm to 6:00 am).
Contact an Experienced Bus Accident Attorney
If you or a loved one have been injured in a bus accident, contact Thomas J. Henry. Our team of experienced bus accident attorneys is available to evaluate your claim 24/7, nights and weekends. Thomas J. Henry Law has the financial resources and the track record of winning that you need in a law firm. Contact us today for a free case review. Our firm has offices in Corpus Christi, San Antonio, and Austin, serving clients across Texas and nationwide.