Chevrolet Monte Carlo Recalled due to Ignition Problems
General Motors has recalled 2.6 million older compact cars with defective ignition switches since February. On Monday, the automaker announced it was recalling 3.16 million mid- to large-size vehicles with a similar, but different, ignition problem. According to the New York Times, Monday’s recall includes certain model years of the Chevrolet Monte Carlo.
About the Chevrolet Monte Carlo Ignition Key Recall
GM announced on Monday a recall affecting 3.16 million vehicles due to a faulty ignition key design that can cause ignition switches to inadvertently move out of the “run” position. The latest recall includes seven vehicle models, including the 2006-2008 Chevrolet Monte Carlo.
Because of a slot design at the head of the key, when extra weight is placed on the key chain, it is possible for the ignition to shut off if the car hits bumps in the road or experiences a “jarring road event.” Owners are strongly advised to remove any extra items from the ignition key until repaired. GM says dealers will put a key insert into the slot which leaves only a hole for the key ring.
GM says it is aware of six injuries and eight crashes related to the ignition key recall.
Last week, the automaker recalled nearly 600,000 Chevy Camaros with a similar key problem. GM says the problem with the newer recalls is different than the small-car ignition recall. In those vehicles, the problem was caused by a defective ignition switch whereas the latest recall is a problem with the key design. In the end, the result is the same: the ignition switch can moves out of “run,” causing engine stalls and may disable safety features such as airbags, power steering, and power brakes.
Description of the Recalled Vehicles
- 2005-2009 Buick Lacrosse
- 2006-2014 Chevrolet Impala
- 2000–2005 Cadillac Deville
- 2004–2011 Cadillac DTS
- 2006–2011 Buick Lucerne
- 2004–2005 Buick Regal LS and GS
- 2006–2008 Chevy Monte Carlo
On Monday, GM also raised its expected second-quarter charge of $400 million to $700 million to cover the expenses of the new recalls. Overall, the automaker has taken $2 billion in charges this year. So far this year, GM has issued 44 recalls which affect more than 20 million vehicles worldwide.
Thomas J. Henry Representing over 1,000 GM Recall Victims
Thomas J. Henry is representing more than 1,000 GM recall victims across the United States and has been investigating injuries and deaths linked to the recall since day one. The firm launched a nationwide media investigation into the recall in April, which brought forth thousands of affected individuals who had information critical to the investigation – information that the firm has handed over to federal agencies also investigating GM’s sluggish response the recall.
As more and more individuals have flocked to Thomas J. Henry for representation, the firm has continued to push GM for a victim settlement fund. The firm has had several talks with GM’s victim compensation expert Ken Feinberg regarding appropriate victim compensation for the thousands affected by a fatal design flaw in ignition switches which left numerous dead and countless others seriously injured.