Recycling Plant Worker Killed in Workplace Accident
Details of the Workplace Accident
Police responded to the call at around 1:40 a.m. at Plastic Recycling Inc. on Indianapolis’ south side. The victim was found face-down on the floor of the plant.
A foreman at the recycling plant says the 31-year-old maintenance worker was cleaning a recycling machine when the accident occurred. According to the Indianapolis Star, the machine turned on while he tried to unclog the machine, killing the worker.
According to WTHR, police believe the deceased maintenance worker followed the necessary safety protocols and are unsure why the machine turned on.
Detectives and the coroner’s office are investigating the circumstances of the workplace fatality.
On the Job Accident Statistics
The following information is provided by the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA).
- 4,821 workers died on the job in 2014.
- On average, more than 92 a week or more than 13 deaths every day.
- Worker deaths in America are down on average, from about 38 worker deaths a day in 1970 to 13 a day in 2014.
- Fatal work injuries involving contractors accounted for 17 percent of all fatal work injuries in 2014.
- One in five worker deaths in 2014 were in the construction industry.