Retired Teacher Killed in Johnson County Head-On Collision
Details of the Fatal Johnson County Collision
According to the Star-Telegram, 63-year old Rhoda Cagle died at John Peter Smith Hospital being mortally injured in a crash around 8 am Monday.
Four teens were also transported to John Peter Smith Hospital with serious to critical injuries.
The fatal crash occurred when a silver Kia driven by Hunter White, 17, attempted to turn from southwest U.S. 67 onto County Road 1119. White’s vehicle collided head-on with Cagle’s red Kia Rio, which was traveling northeast on the same highway.
White’s passengers have been identified as 18-year-old Brandon Bell, an unnamed 15-year-old male, and an unnamed 16-year-old female.
The accident remains under investigation.
Texas Car Crash Statistics
The following information was provided by the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT):
- 3,531 people were killed in traffic accidents in Texas in 2015, marking little change from the 3,536 deaths reported in 2014.
- Of the 3,531 traffic-related deaths recorded in Texas in 2015, 55 percent occurred in rural areas of the state.
- 807 fatalities occurred at intersections, and 581 were associated with head-on collisions.
- An additional 246,335 people were injured in traffic crashes in Texas in 2015.
- TxDOT estimates a reportable crash occurred every 61 seconds in 2015.