A man is facing a charge of manslaughter following a fatal crash that left a motorcyclist dead. The man was fleeing a separate crash when the fatal collision occurred.
Details of the Fatal Motorcycle Crash
KSAT reports Daniel Joshua Campa, 24, was arrested Tuesday in connection to the death of Romero Maldonado, 61.
Police say Campa was traveling eastbound on North Park Road when he ran through a stop sign at North Loop Road and struck a motorcycle ridden by Maldonado. Maldonado was thrown 90 feet from his bike and died at the scene.
Surveillance footage showed Campa was traveling roughly 60 miles per hour when the crash occurred. The posted speed limit is 30 miles per hour. He made no attempt to slow down or stop at the intersection.
Witnesses said Campa was fleeing the scene of another crash he was involved in minutes earlier. He is charged with manslaughter with a bond set at $100,000.
Motorcycle Accident Statistics
The following information regarding motorcycle accidents is provided by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA):
- 5,172 motorcyclists were killed in motorcycle traffic crashes in 2018.
- An additional 89,000 motorcyclists are estimated to have sustained injures in motorcycle accidents in 2019.
- Although motorcycles accounted for a mere three percent of all registered vehicles in the United States in 2017, motorcyclist fatalities accounted for 14 percent of all traffic crash deaths and 17 percent of all occupant fatalities.
- In 2017, one-third of all motorcycle riders involved in fatal crashes were speeding.
- Florida lead the nation in motorcyclist fatalities (550) followed by California (515) and Texas (460).
Injured in a Motorcycle Accident? Call Thomas J. Henry Law
If you or a loved one have been involved in a motorcycle accident, call Thomas J. Henry Law for immediate assistance. We have represented injured motorcyclists across Texas, fighting to secure the financial compensation they deserve.
Our San Antonio motorcycle accident attorneys are available 24/7, nights and weekends to assist you. Call now for your free case consultation.