San Antonio Pedestrian Hit and Killed by 18-Wheeler
A pedestrian was fatally injured Wednesday after he was struck by an 18-wheeler in San Antonio’s Southeast Side.
About the Fatal Trucking Accident
According to Fox 29 in San Antonio, the man was run over by the 18-wheeler after he evidently stepped out into traffic on Loop 410, between Southcross and Rigsby.
The man was rushed to San Antonio Military Medical Center with life-threatening injuries – he was pronounced dead shortly after arrival.
Authorities have not released the man’s identity – no charges have been filed against the truck driver.
National Trucking Accident Statistics
- The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) recorded 3,921 trucking-related deaths in 2012 – a 4-percent increase from the 3,781 deaths recorded in 2011.
- Another 104,000 people were injured in trucking accidents in 2012, up from 88,000 in 2011.
- Of those killed in trucking accidents:
- 697 were occupants of large trucks
- 2,843 were occupants of other vehicles
- 381 were non-occupants including pedestrians and bicyclists
Do you really want to end conversation?