Details of the Fatal Head-on Crash
Trooper Frankie Williams was driving south on Route 55 on a call around 6:59 p.m. local time when the crash happened. Officials say a driver of a Toyota Corolla traveling north crossed over the median near mile marker 22.2, crashing into the trooper’s vehicle.
The Ocean City Patch reports that Williams was airlifted to Cooper University in Camden where he died from injuries.
Officials are investigating the cause of the crash, and the cause of death of both drivers has not been determined. The Ocean City Patch reports that six people have been killed on Route 55 this year, including a 24-year-old former Miss New Jersey. In addition, a crash on Thanksgiving weekend sent three people to the hospital with serious injuries on the same highway.
Motor Vehicle Traffic Crash Statistics
The following information is provided by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA):
- 35,092 people were killed in motor vehicle wrecks on U.S. roadways in 2015.
- This is an increase of 7.2 percent from 2014 – the largest increase in nearly 50 years.
- An estimated 2.44 million people were injured in motor vehicle accidents in 2015.
- 105,000 more people sustained injuries in crashes in 2015 compared to 2014.
- Fatal multiple-vehicle crashes increased by 11.2 percent from 2014.