Surveillance Camera Captures Fatal Crash at Houston Toll Booth
A man is dead as a result of a three-vehicle crash that occurred at a Houston-area toll booth Thursday night. Authorities are reviewing surveillance footage from the toll both as part of their investigation.
About the Houston Toll Booth Crash
According to WCMH, the crash occurred with the driver of a Dodge Durango lost control of their vehicle and slammed in to the back of a car in the cash lane of a toll booth. The initial impact forced the stopped car into the back of a pickup truck that had also stopped at the toll booth.
The driver of the car was pronounced dead at the scene.
The driver of the Durango was transported to an area hospital where they were listed in serious condition. The driver of the pickup was treated at the scene and released.
Witness reports suggest the Durango had been driving erratically prior to the collision. No charges have been filed.
Texas Traffic Accident Statistics
The following information was provided by the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT):
- 3,531 people were killed in traffic crashes in Texas in 2015, marking little improvement from the 3,536 deaths reported in 2014.
- 1,925 deaths occurred in rural areas of the state and 581 people were killed in head-on collisions in 2015.
- An additional 246,335 people were injured in auto accidents in Texas in 2015 with 17,011 people suffering serious injuries.
- Based on reportable crash data for 2015:
- One person is killed in a car crash in Texas every 2 hours and 29 minutes.
- One person is injured every 2 minutes and 8 seconds.
- A reportable crash occurs every 61 seconds.