About the Fatal Temple Crash
According to the Temple Daily Telegram, the crash occurred around 3:10 pm on State Highway 95, just south of where it becomes Northwest Loop 363.
Police believe a red Toyota sedan was struck by a heavy truck carrying a load of scrap metal when the sedan failed to stop at a stop sign.
The collision mangled the small sedan, and the truck was forced of the side of the road into the grassy ditch.
Two occupants of the sedan, a man and a woman, were pronounced dead. The driver of the truck sustained minor injuries.
Texas Trucking Accident Statistics
- The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) recorded 438,000 trucking accidents in the U.S. in 2014.
- These accidents result in 3,903 deaths and 111,000 injuries.
- Of those killed in trucking accidents:
- 17 percent were occupants of large trucks
- 73 percent were occupants of other vehicles
- 10 percent were listed as nonoccupants, including bicyclists and pedestrians
- Texas led the nation in trucking accident fatalities with 553 trucking-related deaths reported. California followed Texas with 300 recorded deaths.