According to KHOU News, a child lost their eye from a firework accident.
The night before the Fourth of July in Royse City, Texas, an eight-year-old girl named Makenna Brown was injured in a firework accident. Makenna was with her entire family at their neighbor’s house when the incident occurred in Rockwall County.
The firework that injured Makenna was designed to shoot up into the air; however, when it was lit it tipped over and flew directly into a crowd of children and their parents. Makenna was directly hit by the firework in her left eye.
According to Makenna’s mother, Tonya Brown, Makenna’s left eye was red and swollen, and blood was pouring out of it. Not only was Makenna’s eye badly damaged, but her eye socket was also fractured. The only option was to remove the entire eye.
Makenna’s mother stated, “life is already kind of tough for her so I just hate that it’s one more thing that will make her different and make her stand out”. In the weeks to come, Makenna is getting fitted for a prosthetic eye. According to her doctors, the prosthetic eye should be in place by the time school starts up again for the Fall; however, as she grows she will be needing new prosthetic eyes.
A friend of the family has created a fundraising page in efforts to help cover the current, as well as the future, medical expenses.
According to the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission: