Texas Man Convicted in Drunk Driving Death of Son
Details of the Fatal Drunk Driving Accident
According to KFOR, Craft was involved in a drunk driving crash last year that killed his 7-year-old son, Kolton. It was stated that Craft, who had been drinking, was looking down at his cell phone when he ran a stop sign and crashed into the side of a house in Whitewright.
His son was not wearing a seatbelt and suffered fatal injuries to his head, neck, ribs, and lungs.
Craft and his attorney seeking an appeal in the case, saying that Craft should have been charged with manslaughter instead of murder. Craft’s attorney also gave a statement stating that “My client is devastated. He hasn’t been able to sleep, he killed his own son. He can’t take that away and he knows it, and he just hopes he can seek the justice I think he deserves.”
A sentencing date for Craft has yet to be scheduled.
Texas Drunk Driving Accident Statistics
The following information was provided by the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT):
- 3,773 people were killed in Texas traffic accidents in 2016, marking a 5.45% increase from the 3,578 deaths reported in 2015.
- 638 of the deaths reported in 2016 were attributed to head-on collision.
- Alcohol was determined to be a factor in 987 traffic deaths, accounting for roughly 26% of all Texas traffic fatalities.
- An additional 264,076 people were injured in auto accidents in Texas in 2016.
- Based on reportable data for 2016, TxDOT estimates:
- One person was killed in a traffic accident every 2 hours and 20 minutes.
- One person was injured every 1 minute and 59 seconds.
- A reportable crash occurred every 57 seconds.
Contact an Experienced Texas Auto Accident Attorney
If you or a loved one have been injured in a car crash, contact Thomas J. Henry. Our experienced car accident attorneys have experience handling a multitude of injury accidents, no matter how severe the crash or injury. You may be entitled to compensation for your damages if another driver acted negligently. Our firm has the experienced lawyers and financial resources that you need to achieve the real results you deserve.
Our firm has offices in Corpus Christi, San Antonio, Austin, and Houston, serving clients across Texas and nationwide. Call us today for a free case review — attorneys are available 24/7, nights and weekends. If you cannot make it to our office, we can visit you at your home, in the hospital, or at work.