Tractor-Trailer Crashes into Tow Truck and Van, Injuring 8
All Three Vehicles Engulfed in Flames
A van traveling east on Highway 98 blew out a tire while crossing the Chickasawshay River Bridge at around 4:30 a.m. when the accident occurred. The family of seven in the van hailed roadside assistance, and a wrecker showed up to load the van.
Officials say the tow truck and van were hit by a tractor-trailer that failed to stop, reports WBRC. The semi slammed through both vehicles and ruptured its fuel tank, causing each vehicle to burst into flames. The seven people inside the van were able to escape following the collision and fire.
WBRC reports that the driver of the tow truck and the family of seven received treatment at local hospitals with minor to moderate injuries.
Trucking Accident Statistics
The following information is provided by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA).
- 3,903 people died in crashes involving large trucks in 2014.
- An estimated 111,000 people suffered injuries in crashes involving large trucks in 2014.
- 74 percent of the people injured in these accidents were occupants of other vehicles.
- An estimated 438,000 large trucks were involved in police-reported traffic crashes during 2014.
- In 2014, large trucks accounted for 8 percent of all vehicles involved in fatal crashes.