About the Louisiana Plane Crash Incident
According to NPR, a small, two engine Piper Cheyenne plane was set to arrive in Atlanta, Georgia for a Louisiana State University football game on the day it tragically crashed. Along with the five initial passengers who lost their lives in the crash, another passenger faced several injuries and people surrounding the ground level of the crash were also hurt.
Authorities have reported that Carley McCord, sports reporter and the daughter-in-law of Steve Ensminger LSU offensive coordinator, was one of the identified deceased aboard the flight. Other passengers were identified as:
- Ian E Biggs, 51 (Pilot)
- Robert Vaughn Crisp II, 59
- Gretchen D. Vincent, 51
- Michael Walker Vincent, 15
- Wade Berzas (Only surviving passenger)
Officials reported that the plane crashed into an office parking lot around 9:00 am.
The incident occurred fairly close to the original takeoff location at the Lafayette Regional Airport. While an investigation is currently underway by the National Transportation Safety Board, an official cause of crash is yet to be discovered.
Lafayette residents have been alerted to stay away from the crash scene to ensure proper inspection.
Small Plane Accident Statistics
According to ABC News, the National Transportation Safety Board reports:
- The number of people killed in plane crashes increased by about 13% in 2018.
- Civil aviation fatalities increased from 347 in 2017 to 393 in 2018. This averages to more than one civil aviation death per day in 2018.
- The Federal Aviation Administration records about three small plane crashes per day.
- In 2018, the fatal accident rate rose to above 1 per 100,000 flight hours for the first time in two years.
Contact an Experienced Plane Crash Attorney
If you or a loved one were injured in an accident involving an aircraft, contact Thomas J. Henry. We represent victims injured in plane crashes, hot air balloon accidents, skydiving accidents, and any other incident involving aviation vehicles. Our experienced aviation accident and injury attorneys are available 24/7, nights and weekends to evaluate your claim.
Contact us today for a free legal consultation so we can determine if you are entitled to compensation for your injuries. Our firm has offices in Corpus Christi, Austin, San Antonio, and Houston, serving clients across Texas and nationwide.