An 18-wheeler truck and a passenger were involved in a fatal crash on U.S. Highway 59 Friday, February 28.
About the Fatal Trucking Accident
According to KTRE, two vehicles got into an accident in Leggett, Texas occurring near the intersection of FM 942 on Highway 59. The Texas Department of Public Safety Troopers were alerted to the scene around 11 in the morning.
The vehicles involved were a 2003 Mercedes-Benz and 2019 Kenworth. Officials reported that the Mercedes was attempting to enter the Highway 59 from a parking lot when the Kenworth crashed into the Mercedes. This crash caused the 18-wheeler to lose traction and veer northbound while pummeling lumber into the roads.
As a result of the incident, two people (the Mercedes driver and passenger) sustained fatal injuries and lost their lives. The Kenworth driver and truck driver were not harmed.
Officials are investigating the incident.
Trucking Accident Statistics
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), in 2017:
- More than 11 million large trucks were registered in the United States
- An estimated 433,000 police-reported traffic crashes occurred involving large trucks
- 4,761 people were killed in crashes involving large trucks
- Large trucks accounted for nine percent of all vehicles involved in fatal accidents
- Of the fatalities that occurred in large truck crashes in 2017, 82 percent were occupants of other vehicles or non-occupants, such as pedestrians or bicyclists
- About one out of every four fatal crashes involving a large truck occurs on an interstate highway
- States with the most fatalities in traffic crashes involving large trucks:
- Texas — 649
- California — 361
- Florida — 292
- Georgia — 214
- Pennsylvania — 167
Injured in a Truck Accident? Contact Thomas J. Henry
If you or a loved one have suffered a serious injury after being involved in an 18-wheeler accident, contact Thomas J. Henry immediately. Our experienced commercial trucking injury attorneys are available to respond to semi-truck accidents at any hour, day or night. Our lawyers understand that the immediate acquisition of evidence is paramount to understanding how the accident occurred. We will take immediate action on your case.
Our firm has offices in Corpus Christi, San Antonio, and Austin, serving clients across Texas and nationwide. Remember, your choice does matter. Contact us today for a free legal consultation. Attorneys are available 24/7, nights and weekends.