Two Killed In Fiery Crash On I44 North Of Wichita Falls
Around 1:30 pm on Friday afternoon, two people were killed in a tragic accident when the truck they were driving in slammed into a concrete bridge support underneath the 287 overpass on I44 South near the Spur 325 junction.
Fatal Accident Remains Under Investigation
According to reports, Wichita Falls police are still trying to determine what caused the accident.
Sgt. Harold McClure released a statement saying, “The initial call was a pin in, when officers arrived on scene they realized the vehicle was on fire. Fire department was notified, they responded and put the fire out.”
Sgt. Harold McClure also stated that the identity of the victims will be confidential until close relatives are notified of their deaths.
Texas Auto Accident Statistics
The following information was provided by the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT):
- The Fatality Rate on Texas roadways for 2015 was 1.43 deaths per hundred million vehicle miles traveled.
- Traffic accidents resulted in 3,531 deaths in 2015, a .14% decrease from the 3,536 deaths recorded in 2014.
- There were 13,616 serious injury crashes in Texas in 2015 with 17,011 people sustaining a serious injury*.
- The annual vehicle miles traveled in Texas during 2015 reached 246.633 billion, an increase of 1.5% over the 242.989 billion traveled in 2014.
- Fatalities in traffic crashes in rural areas of the state accounted for 54.52% of the state’s traffic fatalities. There were 1,925 deaths in rural traffic crashes.