Police have identified two crash victims in Eastern Travis County, Texas.
About the Austin Car Crash
According to the KXAN, two vehicles carrying three people total collided by the Old Decker Creek Bridge at 7221 North FM 973 on August 21. One car caught fire. All three people were pronounced dead at the scene.
DPS says Anthony Cathey Jr., 35, from Manor and an unidentified woman were driving a 2005 GMC Yukon. Victor Lares, 30, from Austin also died. He was driving a 2015 Nissan Altima.
The cause for the crash is still being investigated. The DPS is unsure of contributing factors but said the roadway is dark.
Texas Motor Vehicle Crash Facts 2019
Information below was taken from the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT).
- The Fatality Rate on Texas roadways for 2019 was 1.26 deaths per hundred million vehicle miles traveled. This is a 2.33% decrease from 2018.
- There were 12,897 serious injury crashes in Texas in 2019 with 15,843 people sustaining a serious injury.
- The annual vehicle miles traveled in Texas during 2019 reached 286.268 billion, an increase of 1.5% over the 282.037 billion traveled in 2018.
- Fatalities in traffic crashes in rural areas of the state accounted for 51.69% of the state’s traffic fatalities. There were 1,866 deaths in rural traffic crashes.
- Single vehicle, run-off the road crashes resulted in 1,161 deaths in 2019. This was 32.16% of all motor vehicle traffic deaths in 2019.
- In 2019 there were 731 people killed in crashes occurring in intersections or related to an intersection.
- There were 600 people killed in head-on crashes in 2019.
- There were no deathless days on Texas roadways in 2019.
Contact an Experienced Austin Auto Accident Injury Attorney
Have you or a loved one been injured in a car crash in Austin? Our experienced car accident attorneys in Austin are available 24/7 to take your call and provide you with a free legal consultation. Thomas J. Henry has a track record of achieving real result for clients suffering from serious and debilitating injuries. Let our team of attorneys help you navigate the legal process while you focus on healing. Call today to speak with an attorney, or fill out the contact form on this page and we will contact you.
Our Austin, Texas Personal Injury Law Offices
- Phone Number: (512) 520-0221 (attorneys available 24/7, nights and weekends)
- Address: 5707 Southwest Pkwy, Suite 125 Building 2,Austin, Texas 78735 (walk-in Monday through Friday)