Two Socialites Dead After Florida Ferry Accident
The Fisher Island ferry was traveling from an exclusive island community to mainland Miami Beach when a Mercedes-Benz fell from the front of the vessel and plunged into the water, according to investigators.
About the Florida Ferry Accident
Crews from the U.S. Coast Guard and Miami-Dade Fire and Rescue responded to a call of a submerged vehicle around 5 p.m., the agencies said.
Multiple searches lead them to discover the submerged vehicle and the bodies of two deceased females trapped inside. Police identified 63-year-old Emma Afra from Miami Beach as the driver and 75-year-old Viviane Brahms of Harrison, N.Y., as the passenger.
The Coast Guard is investigating how the car fell from the front of the ferry. The causes of death are pending reports from a medical examiner.
Both Afra and Brahms were high-profile people. According to Fox News, they were both pictured at a private opening at the Mnuchin Gallery in New York City in 2017, and they also appeared at Glenn Ligon’s art lecture at the Miami Design Distract last year.
“It is with heavy hearts that we share the news of the tragic loss of life of Emma Afra and Viviane Brahms who perished . . . when the car they were riding on the ferry ended up in the water for reasons still to be determined,” Roberto Sosa, the president and CEO of the association, said Wednesday in a statement.
Boat Accident Statistics
The following information is provided by the U.S. Coast Guard Boating Safety Division:
- In 2015, the Coast Guard counted 4,158 accidents that involved 626 deaths and 2,613 injuries.
- In addition, $42 million dollars of damage was caused to property as a result of recreational boating accidents.
- Where cause of death was known, 76% of fatal boating accident victims drowned.
- Of those drowning victims with reported life jacket usage, 85% were not wearing a life jacket.
- Excessive speed was the second highest primary contributing factor to recreational boating injuries in 2015.
Contact an Experienced Boating Accident Attorney
If you or a loved one was harmed in a boating accident due to someone’s negligence operation, contact Thomas J. Henry. Our experienced personal injury attorneys are available 24/7, nights and weekends to take your call and evaluate your claim. Our law firm has the legal resources and experienced team of legal professionals necessary to properly develop your case. Call us today for a free case review.