Details of the Mills County Trucking Accident
According to KWTX, the a tractor-trailer and a Dodge Charger were both engulfed in flames after collided head-on on U.S. Highway 183.
The crash occurred about 8 miles south of Goldthwaite just before 2:00 am Tuesday. Authorities say the Charger drifted across the center line and into the path of a 2000 Freightliner. Jones was the sole occupant of the Charger.
The driver of the tractor-trailer, 32-year-old Oscar Robledo, also of Amarillo, was transported to Rollins Brook Hospital.
Texas Trucking Accident Statistics
- In 2014, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) recorded 438,000 trucking accidents in the U.S.
- Those accident resulted in 3,903 deaths and 111,000 injuries.
- Of those killed in trucking accidents:
- 17 percent were occupants of large trucks
- 73 percent were occupants of other vehicles
- 10 percent were listed as nonoccupants, including bicyclists and pedestrians
- Texas led the nation in trucking accident fatalities with 553 trucking-related deaths reported. California followed Texas with 300 recorded deaths.