Woman Charged in Drunk Driving Crash that Killed 8-Year-Old Girl
41-year-old Erika Diebel has been arrested in connection with a League City car crash that killed an 8-year-old girl.
Details of the Fatal League City Crash
According to KPRC 2, the fatal crash occurred on April 6 on West Main Street.
8-year-old Kelsey Nalepa was a passenger in one of three vehicles involved in the collision. Nalepa was rushed to the hospital following the crash but died two days later.
Police found that Diebel was likely intoxicated when the crash occurred and have charged her with intoxication manslaughter with a vehicle. She is being held on a $100,000 bond.
Texas Car Crash Statistics
- The Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT) recorded 3,531 traffic-related deaths in 2015 this marked little change from the 3,538 deaths recorded in 2014.
- Alcohol was believed to be a factor in at least 960 of the traffic fatalities recorded in 2015.
- An additional 246,335 people were injured in car crashes in Texas in 2015.
- Based on reportable crash data for 2015. TxDOT estimates:
- One person was killed in an auto accident in Texas every 2 hours and 29 minutes.
- One person was injured every 2 minutes and 8 seconds.
- A reportable crash occurred every 61 seconds.