About the Fatal Weslaco Collision
According to KRGV, police responded to the scene of an expressway accident near the westbound Westgate overpass around 7:30 am.
Preliminary reports state that what started as a minor fender bender involving three cars became fatal when a fourth vehicle crashed into the scene of the wreck.
A young man was pinned between two of the vehicles and a woman was pronounced dead at the scene.
Investigators are working to determine what caused the fourth driver to veer into the scene of the three car wreck.
Texas Traffic Accident Statistics
The following information was provided by the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT):
- 3,531 people were killed in traffic accidents in Texas in 2015. This marked little change from the 3,536 deaths recorded in 2014.
- 1,925 of the fatalities recorded in 2015 occurred in rural areas of the state, and 581 deaths were associated with head-on collisions.
- An additional 246,335 people were injured in auto accidents in Texas in 2015.
- Based on reportable crash data for 2015,TxDOT estimates:
- One person was killed in a traffic accident in Texas every 2 hours and 29 minutes.
- One person was injured every 2 minutes and 8 seconds.
- A reportable crash occurred every 61 seconds.