Woman Killed in Bexar County Car Crash
A Bexar County medical examiner has confirmed that the woman killed in an accident on Interstate-35 in Texas was from the Laredo area.
Details of the Fatal Accident
According to KGNS TV, around 5:30 AM on Friday, June 19th, the Bexar County Sheriff’s office received a call that a woman was sitting in a stalled car on Interstate-35 south near Luckey Road in Texas. Shortly thereafter, the office received another call saying that the same car had been rear-ended by a silver truck.
The medical examiner has confirmed that the young woman in the vehicle was 19-year old Melissa Ramirez of Laredo, Texas. Ramirez succumbed to the injuries she sustained at the scene of the collision.
Texas Auto Accident Statistics
The following information was provided by the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT):
- 3,408 people were killed in auto accidents in Texas in 2013 – this marked a .26-percent decrease from the 3,417 deaths recorded in 2012.
- Another 232,599 people were injured in auto accidents with 16,807 people sustaining serious injuries.
- 1,887 deaths were attributed to crashes that occurred in rural areas of the state.
- TxDOT estimates that in 2013:
- One person was killed in an auto accident in Texas every 2 hours and 34 minutes.
- One person was injured every 2 minutes and 16 seconds.
- A reportable crash occurred every 71 seconds.