Woman Killed in Crash with 18-Wheeler
According to NBC DFW, a woman died after an 18-wheeler crashed into her car on US 380 in Denton, Texas.
Investigators Still Determining Cause of Wreck
Denton police responded to an accident on US 380 West near Marshall Road on Thursday morning and found the woman unconscious and not breathing following her collision with the 18-wheeler.
NBC DFW reports that a Denton Fire-Rescue crew arrived and pronounced the woman dead at the scene.
US 380 was shut down at Interstate 35 for several hours following the accident, which occurred at 7:50 a.m.
Large Truck Crash Statistics
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA),
- 3,903 people were killed in crashes involving large trucks.
- 73 percent were occupants of other vehicles
- 17 percent were occupants of large trucks
- 10 percent were nonoccupants, including pedestrians, pedalcyclists, etc.
- Large truck drivers involved in fatal crashes in 2014 had the highest percentage (14.9%) of previously recorded crashes compared to drivers of other vehicle types.
- Seventy-nine percent of the fatal crashes involving large trucks in 2014 occurred on weekdays.
- About one out of every four fatal large truck crashes occurred on an interstate.
- Sixty-one percent of the fatal crashes involving large trucks occurred in rural areas.