Woman Killed in El Paso Pedestrian Accident
Authorities in El Paso are investigating a fatal pedestrian accident that left a 74-year-old resident dead.
Details of the Fatal El Paso Accident
According to KTSM, Alicia Mendoza was struck by an SUV at the intersection of San Antonio Street and Oregon Street in downtown El Paso around 11 am Tuesday.
The driver of the vehicle, and elderly woman whose name has not been released, remained at the scene, and witnesses of the incident stated that Mendoza was not in the crosswalk when the accident occurred.
Authorities are continuing to work the case, looking at physical evidence and witness statements.
Texas Auto Accident Statistics
The following information was provided by the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT):
- There were 3,413 traffic-related deaths in Texas in 2013, 485 of which were pedestrian accidents.
- An additional 232,041 people were injured in traffic accidents in 2013.
- Using available crash data, TxDOT estimates:
- One person was killed in an auto accident every 2 hours and 36 minutes.
- One person was injured in an auto accident every 2 minutes and 16 seconds.
- A reportable crash occurred every 71 seconds.